Saturday, March 8, 2008

A PROMISE

BREAKING NEWS: Sam Pierstorff, the editor of the Quercus Review, will be reprinting my Ed Galing article previously in Rattle Magazine "Ed Galing: A Poet of the Greatest Generation" in the May issue. The issue will be a tribute to this 90 year old small press legend....









A PROMISE

i have an
obligation
to perform
as a Jew,
i have a solemn
duty,
not to forget
the past,
no matter how old
i become.

my heart as
always
yearns for
the homeland
for a place of our own
we Jewish people
so long without one,
I shall not
forget where i
come from,
the tenement house
on the lower east side
where the early
jews first settled
down in this new land


all of those memories
lodged in my brain
like a newsreel of the past
and i can still see
the ship, and those
who stood on the top deck,
watching as they
approached the statue
of liberty and freedom.

In my ninetieth year
in my mind
i have just been born.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm totally biased at this point, so I adore this poem.

--Mignon Ariel King